Monday, January 12, 2009

Women Gather for Sewing and ESL



In the Fall of 2008 RIAC began a 12-week sewing and ESL class for Somali women who live in the Jamaica Plain area. The program’s sewing component meets on Monday and Tuesday mornings. Students learn and practice basic sewing on a machine. On Wednesday mornings the women convene for ESL classes. In the ESL class they practice conversation, reading and writing – often on sewing related topics. This program helps Somali refugee women gather, develop new and useful skills while improving their English. This program has been made possible through a generous grant from the Clowes Fund.

3 comments:

Karmin said...

I came across this blog as I was searching for ESL information related to sewing. I am helping teach English to Burmese refugees in Indiana, and we are planning to begin a sewing class as part of the employment program. It will focus on sewing nouns, grammar, verbs, and maybe some practical things and other useful things for sewing. I have no idea where to begin since I don't sew, but they would like for me to come up with ideas. Where did you get your lessons or ideas for the sewing class? What kinds of activities do you do?

Concrete Gardener said...

Thank you for your comment Karmin! I will talk to the coordinators of this project and we could also e-mail you.

All the best.

Evan Clarry said...

Like Karmin, I came across this site for the same reason. I live in Mebourne, Australia and am about to run a similar sewing/ESL course with migrants and would be very interested to know what kinds of activities you do as well.
All the best,
Annie
(not Evan!)